- 5 cups water
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar, plus more for serving
- Coarse salt
- 1 + 1/2 pounds russett potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plt aus more for greasing the pan
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- fresh black pepper
- In a large saucepan bring the water to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in both vinegars and the salt. Stir to dissolve the salt then add the potatoes and cover with a lid. Let sit 1 hour.
- After an hour preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet with oil or line with parchment first then grease.
- Drain the potatoes and blot dry with paper towels. Add them to the baking sheet and sprinkle with cornstarch. Toss.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil over top and massage into the potatoes with your hands. Spread them out in one layer and sprinkle generously with salt and lightly with pepper.
- Bake 20 minutes then toss and spread out again. Bake 15 - 20 minutes more until fork tender and lightly golden.
- Serve with additonal malt vinegar if desired.