The ultimate chewy oatmeal cookies packed with oats, raisins and walnuts.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raisins (I used golden)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets or line with parchment paper or silpats.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter, shortening, sugars, extracts, spices, salt and baking soda, beating on medium until fairly smooth.
- Beat in the egg then scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the corn syrup and milk.
- By hand stir in the oats, flour, nuts and raisins.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 10 - 11 minutes or until they turn light golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to wire racks to cool. Store in a tightly covered container up to 5 days. If they become too hard place a slice of bread or a big piece of apple in the container and they will soften overnight.