- 12 ounces cinnamon raisin bagels, cubed (about 7 cups)
- 1/3 cup raisins (I like golden)
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk (may substitute half & half)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- maple syrup, whipped cream, vanilla ice cream and/or fresh fruit, for serving
1. Grease an 8x8x2 inch casserole or baking pan. Add bread cubes and scatter raisins over top.
2. In a large bowl whisk eggs, slowly whisk in milk then sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg. Pour over bread cubes. Press bread cubes down to soak up the egg mixture.Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours or overnight.
3. Remove pan from refrigerator and allow to come up to room temperature. Press bread cubes down again. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. To make a bain marie put the pan inside a larger roasting pan and fill with enough hot water (not boiling) to reach halfway up the pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until center is set. Cool and chill completely.