- 2 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar (9 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- 1 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-process preferred (3 ounces)
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 + 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted (measure first, then sift)
- 2 tablespoons warm milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 3 cookies sheets or line with parchment and grease the parchment.
- Stir together all of the ingredients until smooth, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and stir again till smooth – the batter will be very thick.
- Scoop up rounded teaspoons of the batter and roll into balls. Set on cookie sheets 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies 8 minutes; they should spread but still remain thick. Allow them to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- To make the frosting melt the chocolate and butter together; stir until well combined. Mix in sugar and milk until smooth. Dollop the top of each cookie with a spoon full. Store in tightly covered containers in a cool, dry place up to a week.