2 cups buttermilk
1 + 3/4 pounds chicken tenders
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 teaspoon ground cumn
1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or sweet)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup flour
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
3/4 cup panko crumbs
1 tablespoon milk
- A few hours before cooking marinate the chicken tenders in buttermilk, cover and refrigerate. Make the dressing too and refrigerate.
- When ready to cook set up a dredging station.
- In a small bowl mix chile powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few generous cracks of black pepper.
- In a wide, shallow dish with short sides mix the flour with half of the spice mixture.
- In a seperate, wide shallow dish with short sides mix the cheese with the panko crumbs and half of the spice mixture.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and milk together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk; allow excess to drain off.
- Use tongs to coat chicken with flour, then egg then cheesy panko crumbs - patting them on if needed. Place on baking sheet.
- Repeat until all the chicken is coated.
- Bake until chicken is golden brown and cooked through (internal temperature of 165 - 174 F.) Serve with buttermilk ranch dressing for dipping.