Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
This old-fashioned favorite starts with an oatmeal crust followed by a cooked sour cream and raisin filling that ends with buttery crumbs gracing the top. Three-layers of irresistible decadence.
2 cups raisins
1 + 3/4 cups old-fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
1 + 3/4 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup room temperature butter
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 + 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups sour cream (regular or light)
- Put the raisins in a small bowl and cover them with hot water.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the oats, flour, brown sugar, and baking soda. Blend the butter in with a pastry blender or fork until small crumbles form. Measure out 1 + 1/2 cups of the topping into small bowl and refrigerate. Pat the rest of the topping evenly over the bottom of the prepared baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a sauce pan over medium heat combine yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and sour cream. Cook over medium heat about 15-20 minutes until slightly thickened, the mixture should simmer slowly, if needed turn heat down. Some of the mixture may stick to the bottom of the pan - don't scrape it up. Remove from heat. Drain the raisins and stir them into the sour cream mixture.
- Pour the raisin mixture over the baked crust and bake for another 15 minutes until the edges are set but the middle is still very jiggly.
- Crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture evenly over top of the bars and bake for another 15 minutes. The bars may still wobble a bit in the middle but will set up when cooled.
- Allow to cool completely then refrigerate until well chilled. Remove bars using parchment to a cutting board and slice into squares or triangles with a chef's knife wiped clean after each cut. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.