Curry is able to change a simple dish into something dynamic. I used to make a Coconut Rice dish with chickpeas and green peas. Delicious. I decided to mix things up by adding in some red curry paste and tomatoes…can you say, “More Delicious”? Yes, it turned my ordinary Rice & Peas dish into something extraordinary.
Rating: This is a great curry recipe. Again it is a one pot meal, which I am a big fan of because they are usually easy recipes to cook up for dinner. The leftovers got time to blend the flavors and give it more depth which made it taste even better the next day. If you aren’t a big fan of curry, leave it out along with the tomatoes leaving a great coconut rice dish.
FOR RECIPE & PHOTO GUIDE CLICK →
|Curried Rice & Chickpeas|
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 4 tsp red curry paste
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes, (if canned, drain)
- 1 cup green peas
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup cashews, chopped
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add in onion, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and curry paste and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in rice.
- Add vegetable stock and coconut milk and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, season with salt & pepper to taste, cover and cook for 40 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, and green peas.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with cashews if you wish.