- 6 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, divided (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 cups trimmed watercress, (2 bunches or one 4-ounce bag)
- 1/4 cup Shao Hsing rice wine, or dry sherry (see Note)
More Healthy Recipe Ideas
You Might Also Like
- Place rack in upper third of oven; preheat the broiler. Coat a broiler pan and rack with cooking spray.
- Gently mix beef, bell pepper, scallions, breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce and ginger in a medium bowl until just combined. Form the mixture into 2 oblong patties and place on the prepared broiler-pan rack. Brush the tops of the patties with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Broil, flipping once, until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add watercress and cook, stirring often, until just wilted, 1 to 3 minutes. Divide the watercress between 2 plates. Return the pan to medium-high heat. Add rice wine (or sherry) and the remaining 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce. Cook, stirring, until smooth, bubbling and slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Top the watercress with the Salisbury steaks and drizzle with the pan sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Hoisin sauce is a dark brown, thick, spicy-sweet sauce made from soybeans and a complex mix of spices. Look for it in the Asian section of your supermarket and in Asian markets.
- Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. It is available in most Asian specialty markets and some larger supermarkets in the Asian section. If unavailable, dry sherry is an acceptable substitute.
- Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 302 calories; 13 g fat ( 4 g sat , 6 g mono ); 56 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 391 mg sodium; 611 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Vitamin A (70% dv), Zinc (27% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat